The Smart family can be traced back to the early 18th century where for many generations they were agricultural labourers in the Hamlets of Gloucestershire.
In the mid 19th century Francis Smart and his sons Frederick & George were cabinet makers in Gloucester.
1870 - Frederick Smart walked from Gloucester to Birmingham where he traded in joinery and woodwork and was soon joined by his younger brother George. The brothers rented premises in Slaney Street which was not far from Snow Hill Station and Smart Shopfittings was established. They manufactured shop furniture and were joined by George’s father-in-law who was a brass founder and pattern maker from Aston. George was very progressive and with the help of his son George Stanley Smart they acquired and established other businesses including the Birmingham Coach and Motor Brass foundry Company, Smart and Parker Cycles and G.S. Smart & Co.
1914 - During World War 1 they manufactured ammunition boxes for the Ministry of Defence.
1926 - George Stanley’s son, Norman Stanley Smart started work at the Birmingham Coach and Motor Brassfoundry Company and soon moved it to the Slaney Street premises. Norman Smart was supplying coffin furniture and horse drawn carriage fittings which were cast in the foundry, together with high quality shop fittings and display equipment. This year they also purchased a light fitting company that supplied specialist light fittings, mainly to churches and museums.
1939 - During World War 2 they produced components and assemblies for Spitfires, Stirling and Lancaster bombers.
1953 - Norman Stanley’s son, John Lynton Smart joined the business an was responsible for moving the company to more modern premises in Highgate Road.
1962 - They purchased ‘Townsends’ who produced shopfittings and bakery equipment. The range included wedding cake stands and icing turntables, mainly for the export market.
1977 - Johns son, Nigel Smart joined the business. A new showroom filled with the latest shopfittings was created and the business continued to expand at such a rate that it outgrew the Highgate Road premises.
1989 - The company moved to its next address at Tyseley Industrial Estate where it had an extensive showroom, large warehouse and plenty of parking and loading facilities.
2007 - We launched our first website and with continued support from the many long standing customers, staff and suppliers.
2010 - Nigels son, Rob Smart joined the company as Sales Manager and has led Smarts in providing a fresh approach to our operations and services, with much more emphasis on providing a complete turnkey service. This includes site surveys, project planning and installation for general shopfitting, joinery, shelving, refrigeration, flooring, ceilings and lighting.
2018 - Rob Smart formed partnership with Gerry Price and Andy Price founders of ABC Racking (UK) Ltd a leading supplier of Pallet Racking and Storage Equipment. The company have now moved their operations to Aldridge, Walsall in a larger 30,000 square foot unit. This has enabled us to purchase our Shop Shelving direct from the factory and increase our stock holding enabling us to offer competitive prices and fast efficient service.